Diploma in Computing
Specialisations: Software Development, Computer Networks
2017 intake dates: 12 Jan, 23 Feb, 23 Mar, 6 Apr, 25 May, 22 Jun, 24 Aug, 14 Sep, 30 Nov, 7 Dec
Note that Computer Networks stand is offered in Auckland, Tauranga and Christchurch.
Software Development is offered in Auckland, Tauranga, Christchurch and Wellington.
If you already have qualiﬁcations or experience in IT and you wish to pursue a more specialised role, this one-year programme is your next best step. This programme will also equip you to pursue further studies in computing and IT.
If you’re enrolled in the Auckland campus, you may be eligible for up to 100 hours paid work experience during the last trimester. You may also have help in negotiating any internship opportunities.
Content & delivery
Delivered by: National Technology Institute
You will be able to specialise in either Software Development or Computer Networking.
For Software Development, you will build your skills in analysing, designing and building robust and user-friendly enterprise or web-based systems. You will assure the quality throughout the development process.
For Computer Networks, you will develop essential skills in both wired and wireless computer network design and setup, administration, maintenance and security. As a specialist who can design, maintain and secure these computer networks, you will be in demand.
For either speciality, you may also choose to gain MTA, MCSE and MCDBA certiﬁcation from Microsoft, although additional exam fee applies.
Learning will be delivered using a blended (face to face) learning approach and you will be encouraged to engage with your fellow students and tutors in class and via your online learning portal.
You will be supported throughout the process by our great facilitators who are professionally qualified and have industry and academic experience to share with you.
- Ethics and Professionalism in Computing
- Strategic Implementation of InformationSystems
- IT Project Management
- Final Specialisation Project
- Computing Network:
- Wireless Networks
- Service Desk Operations Management
- Network Infrastructure Design
- Network Security and Data Protection
- Software Development:
- Software Testing
- Web Programming
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- Application Development
- Develop and deploy a software application system
- Install and confiure a computer network system
- Initiate, plan and manage an IT Project
- Create technical documentation for an IT system
On completion of this programme
Graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in the chosen area of specialisation in Information Technology, with an in-depth understanding of ethics and professionalism and understand the business perspectives of Information Technology implementations in the industry.
- The qualification can lead to further study in the area of specialisation or directly into the workforce.
Successful graduates of the Computer Network specialisation will have the knowledge and skills to secure position in the IT industry as a:
- Network Engineer
- Network Administrator
- Network Support Specialist
- Network Projects Manager or pursue further study in this area.
Successful graduates of the Software Development specialisation will have the knowledge and skills to secure position in the IT industry as a:
- Software Programmer
- Software Developer
- Software Projects Manager or pursue further study in this area.
To enter this course, you must have:
- A Level 6 Diploma in Computing or equivalent skills or knowledge, or
- Two years’ work experience in software development, networking or an equivalent.
If you are coming from overseas, to enter this course you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have an IELTS overall band score of at least 6.0 (Academic), no individual band less than 5.5, or a Pearson test with oveall score of 50 and above; or
- An equivalent level of English
- Tuition - $17250
- Resource - $1750
- Registration - $250
- Insurance (14 months) - $550
- Bank fee - $50
Total - $19850
How to apply
- 1 Apply online
Receive an OOP
Offer of Place will give advice on programme fees, insurance, date and methods of payment
Sign one copy of the Offer of Place and return it, with full payment of all fees, by the due date
When we receive your fees, we will send you an official fee receipt
Apply for visa
Once your student visa is approved, we will arrange your accommodation (if you wish) and airport pick-up
"I wanted to get into the IT industry in New Zealand and I thought that gaining a diploma from a prestigious NZQA-accredited provider like Aspire2 would help me achieve it. I really enjoyed studying there. The Aspire2 Work team helped to get me interviews and an internship and now I have a dream job in I.T. security - all because of their help."
I was an IT professional in my home country with seven years’ experience, but I had no formal qualification. I wanted to study overseas and began researching colleges in Auckland. After receiving 15 offer letters from various providers I finally decided on Aspire2 International. It was a great decision! Now I work for Datacom!