New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced)
Kickstart your culinary career
2017 intake dates: 6 Nov, 4 Dec
If you’re interested in a career in professional cookery, this one-year course is your best first step. This Diploma gives you all the relevant skills and knowledge you need to be successful in a kitchen.
Content & delivery
Delivered by: National Institute of Education
You will gain practical skills and knowledge in advanced culinary practice. This includes managing resources, food and beverage events, and designing and costing menus and food products.
When you successfully complete this course, you will have:
A New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Advanced) Level 5 and
The City and Guilds International Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts 8065-04
The programme teaches you to:
- Select and apply staffing strategies to meet performance targets.
- Plan and monitor workflow and supplies in a commercial kitchen.
- Manage operating procedures and compliance requirements for operational roles.
- Manage staff relationships for operational roles.
Learning will be delivered using a blended (face to face) learning approach and you will be encouraged to engage with your fellow students and tutors in class and via your online learning portal.
You will be supported throughout the process by our great facilitators who are professionally qualified and have industry and academic experience to share with you- all in a state of the art kitchen.
On completion of this programme
Graduates will not only be able to plan and manage workflow and supplies in a commercial kitchen, but understand staffing strategies to optimise performance.
They will have the skills to manage operating procedures and compliance requirements as well as manage staff.
Graduates of the Cookery strand will also be able to:
- Plan and produce a broad range of larder dishes employing advanced preparation, cookery and presentation techniques.
- Plan and produce a broad range of meat, poultry and fish dishes employing advanced preparation, cookery and presentation techniques.
- Plan, develop and design advanced dishes and menus suitable for implementation in a commercial hospitality environment.
Graduates of the Patisserie strand will also be able to:
- Plan and produce a broad range of advanced patisserie and yeast goods suitable for a commercial hospitality business.
- Plan and produce a broad range of gateaux and torten suitable for a commercial hospitality business.
- Plan and produce a broad range of advanced hot and cold desserts suitable for a commercial hospitality business.
With this qualification you can work as:
- A Chef de Partie in restaurants, catering places, or hotels
- a trainee Sous-chef (Head Chef Assistant) in a commercial kitchen.
You may also go on to further study:
- A Bachelor Degree in Culinary Arts, or
- New Zealand Diploma in Hospitality Management
If you are coming from overseas, to enter this course you must:
- have the NZ Certificate of Cookery Level 4, or equivalent skills and knowledge
- be 18 years of age or older
- provide evidence of an IELTS overall band score of at least 5.5 (Academic), with no individual band less than 5.0; or
- Pearson Test with overall score of 42-49.
- pass our English Entry Test (for limited nationalities only).
First year fees (New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Level 4):
- Tuition - $16000
- Resource - $2500
- Registration - $250
- Insurance (14 months) - $550
- Bank fee - $50
Total 1st year - $19350
Second year fees (New Zealand Diploma in Cookery Level 5):
- Tuition - $14000
- Resource - $1000
- Insurance - $300
Total 2nd year - $15300
Total fees for two years - $34650
How to apply
- 1 Apply online
Receive an OOP
Offer of Place will give advice on programme fees, insurance, date and methods of payment
Sign one copy of the Offer of Place and return it, with full payment of all fees, by the due date
When we receive your fees, we will send you an official fee receipt
Apply for visa
Once your student visa is approved, we will arrange your accommodation (if you wish) and airport pick-up
"Since March 2016 we have been inducting hospitality students from Aspire2 International. The students have been successful in attending our Ice Events Workplace Training. Some of the students have since been offered a contract with Ice Events for Casual Temp roles with our clients. We cater VIP events. The students we have from Aspire2 International have been absolutely wonderful. Good communication skills, good attendance and punctual. "