New Zealand Certificate in Cookery
Are you interested in a career in the food industry?
2017 intake dates: 6 Nov, 4 Dec
Are you interested in a career in the food industry? This certificate will give you the cooking skills and knowledge to help you take the first step. Once completed you will be equipped to work in all areas of food preparation, presentation and storage or to move onto further study.
Content & delivery
Delivered by: National Institute of Education
You will gain the basics of cookery – learning food and kitchen safety, and how to work with a team to produce cold or hot foods, patisserie and baked goods.
When you successfully complete this course, you will have:
- A New Zealand Certificate in Cookery – Level 4
- The City and Guilds International Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts 8065-01 and 02
- A Food Safety Certificate
The purpose of this qualification is:
- To provide competent employees for the hospitality sector who are able to work as chefs in intermediate positions producing complex dishes in a commercial kitchen.
- To provide for those individuals who are employed as chefs in intermediate positions, a credential that will enhance their employment opportunities in a commercial kitchen across the hospitality sector.
- To establish standards of professional practice for complex cookery that can provide customers with confidence in a range of hospitality environments.
Learning will be delivered using a blended (face to face) learning approach and you will be encouraged to engage with your fellow students and tutors in class and via your online learning portal.
You will be supported throughout the process by our great facilitators who are professionally qualified and have industry and academic experience to share with you.
On completion of this programme
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
- Monitor and maintain interactions between colleagues, managers and customers.
- Monitor and maintain the application of standard operating policies and procedures to work roles.
- Apply cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of cold larder dishes employing complex preparation and presentation techniques.
- Apply cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of hot kitchen dishes employing complex preparation and presentation techniques.
- Apply cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of patisserie and desserts employing complex preparation and presentation techniques.
This programme is open to anyone aged 18 and over.
If you are coming from overseas, to be eligible for this course you must:
- be 18 years of age or older
- provide evidence of an IELTS overall band score of at least 5.5 (Academic), with no individual band less than 5.0; or
- have a Pearson Test with overall score of 42-49; or
- pass our English Entry Test (for limited nationalities only)
First year fees (New Zealand Certificate in Cookery Level 4):
- Tuition - $16000
- Resource - $2500
- Registration - $250
- Insurance (14 months) - $550
- Bank fee - $50
Total 1st year - $19350
Second year fees (New Zealand Diploma in Cookery Level 5):
- Tuition - $14000
- Resource - $1000
- Insurance - $300
Total 2nd year - $15300
Total fees for two years - $34650
How to apply
- 1 Apply online
Receive an OOP
Offer of Place will give advice on programme fees, insurance, date and methods of payment
Sign one copy of the Offer of Place and return it, with full payment of all fees, by the due date
When we receive your fees, we will send you an official fee receipt
Apply for visa
Once your student visa is approved, we will arrange your accommodation (if you wish) and airport pick-up